Call the Firm 360-244-4205 Text the Firm 360-329-7530

Rights Restoration Following A Criminal Conviction

The consequences of a conviction can stay with you long after your sentence has been served. In some cases, it is possible to regain certain rights through court petitions, and the Newbry Law Office is ready to help.

While we can't cover every detail of these processes on this page, the following information will hopefully prove helpful.

Restoring Gun Rights In Washington

Individuals can lose their right to own firearms if they have been convicted of a felony or, in some cases, lesser offenses like gross misdemeanors. Regaining gun possession rights requires obtaining an order from the Superior Court. Eligibility requirements include:

  • Living in the community with a clean criminal record for a consecutive period of between three and five years (depending on your original conviction)
  • Successfully completing all sentences, terms and conditions related to previous convictions
  • Having no pending criminal charges in any state or federal court

Individuals convicted of certain offenses will never be eligible to petition for restoration of gun possession rights. These include felony sex offenses and all Class A felonies.

Vacating A Conviction

Long after your sentence has been served, a criminal conviction on your record can make it very difficult to get hired for many jobs or to find desirable housing — these both require criminal background checks.

The good news is that you may be able to vacate your conviction if you meet certain criteria. Vacating a conviction essentially means setting it aside as though you were never convicted in the first place. If done properly, your conviction would be removed from most records, including those that would show up in a basic criminal background check.

The eligibility requirements for vacating a conviction include those mentioned for gun rights restoration, but there are also other requirements too numerous to list here. Please call our office at 360-244-4205 to discuss whether or not you may be eligible.

Removal From Sex Offender Registries

Being on a sex offender registry can make it nearly impossible to find desirable housing, to find a decent job or to be accepted as a member of your community. Some sex crime convictions require lifetime registration; others automatically expire after 10 to 15 years if the person has no additional criminal offenses of any kind.

That being said, there are some instances in which you will only be relieved of the requirement to register by filing a successful petition with the court. These decisions are left to the discretion of judges, so the help of an experienced lawyer can be crucial.

Contact Us For A Case Evaluation

Located in Port Orchard, contact Newbry Law Office for an initial consultation with an experienced criminal defense attorney. Call us at 360-244-4205 or fill out our online contact form.

Contact Our Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy